HKIAC Appoints New Proceedings Committee Chair
HKIAC is pleased to announce the appointment of Briana Young as Chair of its Proceedings Committee effective 3 November 2021. Young also serves as Vice Chair of HKIAC.
The Proceedings Committee determines all procedural matters under HKIAC’s rules including contested applications for expedited proceedings, consolidation, and joinder; challenges to arbitrators; and whether, on a prima facie basis, arbitrations shall proceed.
Young is Professional Support Consultant and Foreign Legal Consultant at Herbert Smith Freehills in Hong Kong.
She succeeds Dr. Nils Eliasson, HKIAC Vice Chair and Partner at Shearman & Sterling in Hong Kong, who has chaired the Proceedings Committee for the past four and a half years.
Sarah Grimmer, HKIAC Secretary-General, says “I am delighted that Briana has been appointed chair of this committee. She was instrumental in the drafting of our Rules and has sophisticated understanding of how they operate. I am deeply grateful to Nils for his expert leadership of the committee over his term. He has been superb.”
Young says “I am genuinely honoured to chair this committee of eminent and experienced practitioners from across the world. I look forward to working with such a strong bench of committee members, and to continuing the excellent work done by Nils to support HKIAC and its users with the same degree of rigour and efficiency.”
With Young at the helm, HKIAC’s Proceedings Committee is comprised of leading practitioners, senior barristers, arbitrators, and in-house counsel from around the world:
- Domitille Baizeau – Partner at Lalive in Geneva
- Victor Dawes SC – Barrister at Temple Chambers in Hong Kong
- Karl Hennessee – Senior Vice President Litigation at Airbus in Toulouse
- Christine Kang – Partner at Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP in New York
- Andrea Menaker – Partner at White & Case in London
- Promod Nair – Advocate at Arista Chambers in Bangalore
- Jern-Fei Ng QC – Barrister at 7 Bedford Row in London and Temple Chambers in Hong Kong
- Friven Yeoh – Partner at Sidley Austin in Hong Kong