24 Jan 2024 to 26 Jan 2024
Co-organisers: The Supreme People's Court, PRC(“SPC”) and Department of Justice, HKSAR (“DoJ”)
Host: Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (“HKIAC”)
Date: Tuesday, 17 October 2023
Time: 10:00 to 12:00
On 1 October 2019, the Arrangement Concerning Mutual Assistance in Court-ordered Interim Measures in Aid of Arbitral Proceedings by the Courts of the Mainland and of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (the “Arrangement”) came into effect. The Arrangement is the world's first mutual judicial assistance arrangement to support interim measures in arbitral proceedings between two jurisdictions. Under the Arrangement, parties to Hong Kong-seated arbitration administered by qualified arbitral institutions may apply to the Mainland Courts for the preservation of property, evidence and conduct. Hong Kong has also become the first and currently the only common law jurisdiction outside the Mainland that can obtain judicial assistance for interim measures in arbitration before the Mainland Courts.
The date of 1 October 2023 marks the fourth anniversary of the enforcement of the Arrangement. Over the past four years, 100 applications have been submitted to 35 different Intermediate People's Courts (“IPCs”) in 27 Mainland cities. On the fourth anniversary of the Arrangement, the seminar aims to explore in retrospect and prospect the judicial assistance in arbitral proceedings between the Mainland and Hong Kong.
You are cordially invited to join the seminar in person to hear the discussion from the judge of the SPC, representatives of the DoJ, Mainland and Hong Kong judiciaries, arbitral institution, and practitioners from Mainland and Hong Kong who will share experience and special practical issues under the Arrangement.
- Horace Cheung, SBS, JP, Deputy Secretary for Justice
- Yanli Si, Deputy Chief Judge of the Research Office of SPC
- The Hon Madam Justice Mimmie Chan, Judge of the Court of First Instance of the High Court of Hong Kong
- Judge from the Mainland Intermediate Court
- Rimsky Yuen, GBM, SC, JP, Co-Chair of HKIAC
- Chungang Dong, Partner, Jingtian & Gongcheng
- Ernest Yang, Partner, DLA Piper
- Tianxi Wang, Deputy Director, Guangzhou Arbitration Commission
- Dr Ling Yang, Deputy Secretary-General, HKIAC