WOLTERS KLUWER PODCAST: INTERNATIONAL LAW TALK
Wolters Kluwer Podcast: International Law Talk, hosted by Dr. Esmé Shirlow, Associate Editor of Kluwer Arbitration Blog, has released an insightful interview with Dr. Mariel Dimsey, Secretary-General of the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC). The episode focuses on the role of technology, institutionalisation, and transparency in international arbitration, with a particular focus on arbitrating disputes in Hong Kong and at the HKIAC.
During the interview, Dr. Dimsey and Dr. Shirlow explore a range of compelling topics, includes:
- The involvement of institutions in administering arbitration proceedings, including the capacity for international arbitration centres to capture and showcase their approaches to common issues that arise in the arbitral proceedings they administer.
- HKIAC’s innovative Case Digest Tool, which offers insights into HKIAC’s procedural decision-making through collation of anonymised decisions on common procedural issues. The Tool won the GAR Award for Best Innovation in 2022, and aims to make the HKIAC’s internal procedures more transparent for HKIAC users and to highlight key trends in HKIAC procedural decisions.
- The role for AI and other technologies in the work of arbitral institutions, and the need to balance use of new technologies with an ongoing ‘human element’ in institutional decision-making.
- The scope for institutions to collaborate with one another, including the extent to which the HKIAC seeks to draw insights from the practice and approaches of other institutions to common procedural issues or reform options.
- The commitment of HKIAC to communicating its activities to the broader arbitration community, and the diffuse impacts of such pro-transparency initiatives.
- The impact of an arbitration institution’s seat on the scope to enforce awards and seek interim measures. Mariel discusses, in particular, the unique benefits to parties of arbitrating in Hong Kong, including to highlight arrangements relevant to enforcing HKIAC awards in Mainland China.
Access the full episode of the International Law Talk Podcast by:
- Podcast on Spotify
- Podcast trailer on YouTube
- Podcast article on Wolters Kluwer
- Podcast article on Kluwer Arbitration Blog