HK45 is the group for all young arbitration practitioners in Asia and beyond. Our aims are to promote the use of arbitration and Hong Kong as a seat, to provide a platform for members to learn from each other and leading professionals, and to help Hong Kong remain an inclusive and welcoming place for arbitration lawyers young and old who practice in the region. HK45 organises regular seminars, careers events and socials, and with HKIAC publish a newsletter with a readership of over 5000 people. Membership of HK45 is free. To join, please click here.
HK45 is led by co-chairs Robert Rhoda (Bird & Bird) and Tomas Furlong (Herbert Smith Freehills). The committee consists of John Rhie (Quinn Emanuel) Sarah Grimmer (HKIAC Secretary General), Sheila Ahuja (Allen & Overy), Desmond Ang (Sidley Austin), Jose-Antonio Maurellet S.C. (Des Voeux Chambers) and Kiran Sanghera (Harbour Litigation Funding). The HKIAC provides logistical and administrative support.
There is much to look forward to in the coming term for HK45 and the committee welcomes collaboration with the arbitration community, so if you have ideas for any projects or events, please contact the committee. Upcoming events include:
- HK45/Vis East Moot/CAM-CCBC arbitrator training session (Sunday, 26 March 2017 at 2:30), featuring Louise Barrington on behalf of Vis East, Carlos Forbes, President of CAM-CCBC, together with Vis "Star Arbitrators" David Huebner and Sameer Shah and more! For registration, click here.
- HK45/ICC YAF Arbitration Careers Event events for students and junior lawyers who wish to pursue a career in arbitration (Thursday, 30 March 2017). For registration, click here.
- HK45 Roadshows on "Making the Most of the First 60 Days of an Arbitration" in Seoul (April), Mumbai (July), Beijing (September) and Sydney (October).
HK45 hosted a lively Arbitration Pub Quiz during Hong Kong arbitration week (20 October 2016) sponsored by Alvarez and Marsal and Herbert Smith Freehills. Other recent events include:
- the HK45 Annual Update (14 February 2017), featuring Sarah Grimmer (HKIAC); Bryan Fok (Herbert Smith Freehills); Kiran Sanghera (Harbour Litigation Funding); Harold Noh (Quinn Emanuel); Joanne Lau (Allen & Overy) and Alan Tsang (Sidley Austin);
- an HK45 Roadshow "Making the Most of the First 60 Days of an Arbitration" in Shanghai (12 October 2016);
- an HK45 Arbitration Supper Club with Christopher Moger QC sponsored by Bird and Bird (26 October 2016);
- an HK45 Arbitration Supper Club with Gavin Denton and Nicolas Wiegand sponsored by Arbitration Chambers HK and CMS Law (7 October 2016); and
- "Dos and Don'ts of Presenting to a tribunal" with Neil Kaplan QC and Sir Bernard Rix sponsored by Allen and Overy (21 June 2016).